Mr. Wilson Made it Home!

Mr. Wilson Made it Home!
Mr. Wilson

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Buzzing

          My hummingbird at the feeder in my yard, 6-17-2014, 0700 hrs.


There was a path leading to the shore, and along the path were flowers of all different varieties, and I slung my towel over my shoulder and made my way toward the water. Once enveloped by the vegetation my mind slowed down, and the thoughts in my head stopped spinning, the buzz created by the incessant chatter replaced by quiet, and a peaceful moment was mine. I stopped for a moment, realizing that it was just me, the path and the sun's fading rays, and the rest of the world was outside, and I could take it or leave it, whichever I chose.  A smile came to me slowly, growing as each second passed, and from the bushes that lined the path came a delightful sound, much like the buzzing that had left my head a few moments before. I had never seen a hummingbird, but there, before my eyes were dozens of them, feeding, mating, flying in place and backwards, just doing what it took to be alive and well and busy with the task of living.

It was one of the most glorious moments I have ever experienced.

Now, some years later they come to visit me in my backyard. If somebody tells you that magic is a figment of your imagination, or if you believe such nonsense to be true, may I suggest opening your heart and mind to one of the little wonders of the world, and seek out the elusive hummingbird. My encounter with them was and is one of the greatest things that has ever happened to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment